Shifting Paradigms


I have been wondering what I should write on this month. I also have been busy in my shop as I am starting to see spring is coming slowly. Working around the self-employment  theme my wife and I have been working on the craft projects which works with my woodworking skills.  Now mainly because of my age / job market I have started down the path of heading back to school to do Small Engine Repair Course.

So Susie ( my wife ) has been sorting stuff and she came across this paper:

 We both have used the “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”.  One of the topics in that book talks about Paradigms & Principles.


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit” – Aristotle 

Our character, basically, is a composite of our habits. “Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character, sow a character , reap a destiny.” the maxim goes. Habits are powerful factors in our lives. Because they are consistent, often unconscious patterns, they constantly, daily, express our character and produce our effectiveness … or ineffectiveness.

I wrote this a while back but as I read it again it just makes sense, at least to me.  I have found again people are talking about / around Mental Health and  Mental Illness. It is not easy to define, however, it is important that you guard against both under - and over - diagnosis in thinking about where you start. The biggest problem is underdiagnoses.  It is a startling fact that so many with a psychiatric disorder never get the help they need.

I read “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”  then read the topic  Paradigms & Principles.  My hope is others will read this book and realize that there is a shift in thinking or the way to look at Mental Health and  Mental Illness.  Not every imperfection in life is a psychotic disorder nor is every symptom or quirk amble to psychiatric treatment.

I have always believed that having a good outlook in life helps to lead to a better Mental health thus this is the “Paradigm” shift.  Knowing that right now you may be in a “dark place” or someone has put you there. By seeing that you are stronger then that provides you with the knowledge to get out of that place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Us Talk About Mental Health & Suicide

The Holidays

Opening Up About Your Disability