A Summer of work?

The summer started with promises yet again of full time work. Starting back in Flagging I went and took the course which I just passed with my Learning Disability.  After just a few calls out I was let go ??  Never was told why or what I did or did not do. Again I went with the flow and got on with another flagging company which had more work locally. Until they needed me in the interior of British Columbia Canada that job was the final straw with flagging as a new career. Working more then 12 hours a day and just getting paid for 11 hours. Working 7 days a week in the hot sun. Being verbally abused on a regular basis. That promise of full time work ended too, but they still need people.
This is a pattern of "silly" labor jobs. It has been the case for the last 4 years I had 6 jobs which seem all or in part promises of FULL TIME work only to be let go. Yes, all were paid in wages getting less then $ 20 per hour which doesn't cover the $1,500 you need per month for rent. Once in this time period I even went through a government program to get trained as a "Wood Finisher". The lady who ran the company was at times on my case for being not "detailed enough" even though I had a painting company of my own  for many years. She thought this back ground would help. After two years both me and my coworker left her employ so she was on her own. This left me looking for work again.
I moved to the East Kootenay region with the idea of a fresh start. I knew that as a laborer in the mines with a sub contractor it would be tough being in my fifties.  I thought that being there three or four years I might have been ahead enough. That would be the start of promises broken as they couldn't give me enough shifts to pay my rent.


Just want to work.
I don't want to be friends at the end of my shift.
Yes, I am a friendly person.
I need to know what my job is with clear information about my duties.
You want a leader but you never say anything.
Just want to work.
Today I go to work wondering if today I will be told that I did a good job.
Or will I be stressed about the job because of some unspoken social queues that I miss.
Here it comes to morning another talk about me that I need to listen more.
I just want to work.
I like the work most of the time. I feel that I am getting the job done.
I enjoy the people but will there be someone trying to undermine me
Again I take home my stress and worries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holidays

Let Us Talk About Mental Health & Suicide

Opening Up About Your Disability